Sunday 2 May 2010

Glamorgan MPhil & Free Story

Not one of the chosen 8 for the writing MPhil at Glamorgan, but asked if I want to be on the shortlist if someone drops out. Certainly!

A short environmental Flash I wrote some time ago:

Evans


Evans is dead. The heat, lack of air, maybe the bugs, brought him down. I won't have to listen anymore to him whinging on about the perils of time-travel.

He was never a real eco-warrior, just a Swansea scientist playing at it. His idea was good though, repopulate the rainforests with stock from the Carboniferous period, trees and shrubs that could handle the 22nd Century climate. Enough planted across the world and we could throw away our breathing masks, could leave the burrows.

Evans's machine worked, but then we found you can only travel backwards, not forwards, in time. Even if we could operate the controls without the inventor, what would be the point in voyaging to an earlier period?

I think I'll sit with my back to my favourite giant fern and wait to be petrified, to become coal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays.

24 Hour Locksmith Chicago